Thursday, October 13, 2011

Horror Triple Play

Last night I watched 3 horror movies from the 70s & 80s.
     The first was THE GHOUL (1975) and starred the late, great Peter Cushing (who is one of my very favorite actors) and John Hurt (and he's another one!). It was set in the 1920s and also starred the British 70s show SURVIVORS actor Ian McCulloch. It also starred the lovely Veronica Carlson, Alexandra Bastedo, Gwen Watford and Don Henderson as the ghoul.
     The second was THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY (1981), starring no actors I ever heard of, but the little girl was familiar and creepy ;-)
The little boy's voice dubber was a PITA LOL!
Lucio Fulci directed it and he even had a role in the film as a professor.
     The third was HORROR RISES FROM THE TOMB (1973). It starred the late, great Paul Naschy (who is another favorite actor of mine) in a role I'm not sure he ever revisited as he did other roles he portrayed, Alaric De Marnac. He also played 2 other roles in the film. In the present as a descendant of Alaric De Marnac, Hugo De Marnac and as an enemy of Alaric De Marnac in the past (who was also his kinsman, brother, methinks?) Armand De Marnac.
     All these movies have their faults and are B-Movies, but all were enjoyable. The dvds we have of them aren't very good quality and I'm sure they would look much better if restored and on higher quality dvds, but they suffice for us, as beggars can't be choosers LOL!
     I do so enjoy seeing actors I have grown to love in other roles, such as the beloved Peter Cushing. He was so wonderful in all the Hammer Dracula & Frankenstein movies, as well as THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD, STAR WARS and many, many other movies too numerous to mention.
He will always be my favorite Dr. Van Helsing and he was wonderfully evil as Dr. Frankenstein.
     John Hurt looked so young in THE GHOUL, but it was only 3 or 4 years before he was in ALIEN and I think it was the longish hair and his portrayal of Tom as a sort of simpleton, but with evil intent toward the two women he encountered in the film. Hurt is wonderful in anything I have seen him, such as 1984, THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND, HELL BOY, THE SKELETON KEY, to name only a few.
     Ian McCulloch was someone I'd known I'd seen in something else when I watched the british tv show SURVIVORS on Netflix dvd rental recently and I was glad to see that it was THE GHOUL that I'd seen him in ;-)
     Veronica Carlson had been in other Hammer horror movies and she was very lovely and memorable in THE GHOUL.
     Alexandra Bastedo was also in many British productions over the years and was equally lovely. In my IMDb search, I see that she was in BATMAN BEGINS! I have to watch more closely the next time I see it!
     Can't say much about the actors in THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY as I don't believe I've ever seen any of them in anything else. The children were lovely, yet a tad strange.
The US locations were great, though the interiors were all shot in a studio in Rome.
     The late, great Paul Naschy enjoyed playing several roles in HORROR RISES FROM THE TOMB and I'm glad he DID, because Hugo De Marnac was something of an emotionless man, I felt. He was much more firey as Alaric De Marnac.
    These movies were all in a cheap set we bought for probably $5 at Borders or Walmart or somewhere YEARS ago. There's one more, but we didn't get to it last night. Maybe tonight after SPARTACUS: GODS OF THE ARENA rental dvd that we have coming today from Netflix... if we have time...
Have a ghoulishly fun day!
SciFiHorrorFem

No comments:

Post a Comment